Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mighty Hero! E-100 Day 28 (Judges 6-7)


It was the end of the soccer season of my freshman year. I didn't play much. Mainly when the game wasn't super close and one of the fullbacks was tired. We were in practice, and only had one game left. I was sprinting toward a loose ball. On the other end of the loose ball was Hector. Hector was a senior and one of the best players in the state of California. As we got close to the ball, I backed down in fear of getting run over. Hector kicked the ball away, then turned around and came after me, grabbed my shirt and slammed me down. "Am I bigger than you?" Hector was yelling at me! "Ron, you are solid! You should be starting, but you play like a ______! If you would just be confident, you can run anyone over!" Hector saw something in me that I didn't see in myself. It shocked me. It also motivated me, and did give me confidence. Hector worked with me all summer long even after he graduated. I came into practice my sophomore year a different player and ended up as the starter at sweeper because I was so aggressive in getting after the ball. I never would have made that change in how I approached the game and life without Hector seeing something in me that I didn't see in myself.


Gideon was the least in his family. His family was the least in their tribe. His tribe was the least of all the tribes. So you can imagine his shock when the angel of the Lord came to him while he was basically hiding out and addressed him as "Mighty Hero"! The angel of the Lord knew what God was going to do through Gideon even though Gideon didn't know it yet. Can you think back to a time when someone saw something in you that you didn't see in yourself? Did it motivate you to try? Did it make you entertain the thought that just maybe that person was right and you could do what they saw in you? Did you know that when Jesus looks at you in your present state and calls you righteous? I know you don't see it in yourself, but God sees what His Son did on the cross for you! Can that help motivate you to start acting like a child of the King rather than a failure, a screw up, or a rebel? I know it does for me, knowing that Jesus sees me that way. How about you? Will you live as a child of the King today? Have a great day guys!


Ron Foster

No comments: