Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm Sorry! E-100 Day 10 (Genesis 32-33)


As we read in these two chapters, Jacob was very nervous to face his brother. He had every right to be nervous. He swindled him out of his birthright (inheritance), then stole his father's blessing and ran away because Esau was going to kill him. Now, it's years later and Jacob hasn't forgotten what he did to his brother, and they were about to meet. I'm nervous just thinking about the scenario.

I get nervous because I found myself in a similar predicament. When I was in 7th grade our school had the Jr. High and Sr. High buildings together, so we saw the Sr. High all the time. There was a sophomore named Hector Orellana who also went to our church. Hector was the coolest guy. He was awesome at all three sports. He was dating Erica (one of my counselors from day camp for the last few years). And for some reason, Hector befriended me. ME! A 7th grade little turd! He made me a big shot! At church we had separate Sr. High and Jr. High classes but would all be together in "Big Church", and he would save a spot for me! Right next to him! I didn't get it, but I loved it! He showed me how to play soccer, to slidetackle, that you tithe even in high school. He showed me alot.

One day, another 7th grader and I were assigned to empty out all of the big garbage cans and bring them to the dumpster. As we were putting the bags in the dumpster, we looked over and the gate to the dumpsters swung wide open because of the wind, and hit the pick up truck that was parked right there! I ran over to see who's it was and I didn't recognize the truck. What I did recognize was when I pulled the gate away from the truck it had left a scratch and dent from the top to the bottom on the passenger side of the truck! This truck looked pretty brand new as well. It was black and shiny (except for this scratch now). For a minute the other guy with me and I were thinking about running off and pretending that we knew nothing, but in the end we talked each other into going to the office to let them know what happened. When we let them know, they were really assurring to us and making us feel that we had done the right thing until we found out who's truck it was...that's right...it was Hector's. Actually it was Hector's dad's truck and this was the first day that Hector was allowed to drive it to school. I was feeling sick. I heard that when Hector saw the dent and scratch, he was screaming and shouting. I avoided him the rest of the week. I was so scared. All of that cool stuff that I was able to do with Hector was gone now. I was in his inner circle of friends to his hated list. At church, I went and sat in an entirely different section hoping to avoid him again. I glanced over and to my terror saw Hector walking over to me! Oh my gosh, he doesn't even care that we're in church! He's gonna kill me right here! He sat down next to me and asked, "You're the one that hit my car?" I couldn't even look at him. Almost about to cry with my head down, I said in a quiet tone, "Yes. I'm so sorry. I'll get a job and pay for it. It was my fault." Hector interrupted me. "No, you don't have to do that. My insurance has covered it. I knew I shouldn't have parked that close to the dumpster. It's ok. Let me ask you though, why are you sitting over here?" I couldn't believe how this was going. "I thought you wouldn't want me around for awhile." Hector told me something that I'll never forget, "You could have totalled the car, and that wouldn't change our friendship. Ok? Besides, who else will sit with me when me and Erica are having a fight? Come on." We got up and walked back to where we normally sat with an understanding of what forgiveness feels like.

How relieved do you think Jacob was when Esau gladly received his brother? Have you ever experienced forgiveness in a manner that totally shocked you? Have you ever given it in that manner? Is it time for you to show someone in your life today what forgiveness feels like? Search them out and experience it all over again. It's awesome! Have a great day guys!

Ron Foster

No comments: